Math Assistance Center
The Math Assistance Center (MAC) provides a walk-in service; no appointments are scheduled or needed. If there is a particular teaching assistant you prefer to work with, their hours are listed in the schedules below. However, all graduate teaching assistants present at any time have the capacity to aid in any undergraduate mathematics course. Undergraduate teaching assistants are there to provide assistance in sub-calculus classes.
The MAC has moved! It is now located in the O'Hara Student Center.
O'Hara Student Center
4024 O'Hara Street
Fall/Spring Term Hours
Monday - Thursday, 9 a.m.-7 p.m.
Friday, 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
Summer Term Hours
Monday - Friday, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., 3 p.m.-6 p.m.
Saturday - Sunday, closed
The MAC opens the second week of classes each term and is closed during finals week.
Schedules by Class:
- Math 120 - Business Calculus
- Math 240 - Analytic Geometry and Calculus III
- Math 280 - Linear Algebra
- Math 290 - Differential Equations
- Math 400 - Finite Mathematics
- Math 413 - Intro to Theoretical Math
- Math 420 - Theoretical 1 Variable Calculus
- Math 430 - Intro to Abstract Algebraic Systems
- Math 450 - Intro to Analysis, Honors
- Math 470 - Actuarial Mathematics I
- Math 1025 - Introduction to Mathematical Cryptography
- Math 1080 - Numerical Linear Algebra
- Math 1121 - Actuarial Mathematics II
- Math 1180 - Linear Algebra
- Math 1250 - Abstract Algebra
- Math 1270 - Ordinary Differential Equations I
- Math 1280 - Ordinary Differential Equations II
- Math 1310 - Graph Theory
- Math 1510 - Mathematical Probability
- Math 1540 - Advanced Calculus II
- Math 1560 - Complex Variables and Applications
If you have any questions, please contact MAC Director Daniel Hockensmith or one of the following MAC coordinators.
Dietrich School Scientific Computing Lab
Some mathematics courses include computer assignments using Loc CAPA, Mathematica, Maple or Matlab software. Expert help is available with this software on a walk-in basis in the Posvar Computer Lab.
230 S Bouquet St.
Because classes are held regularly in the Posvar Computer Lab, students should consult the schedule for hours when walk-in help is available.
If you have any questions regarding the lab, please contact graduate student operator Ahmed Zytoon (AMZ56@pitt.edu)
For general study tips and academic advice, as well as resources for other subjects, feel free to consult the Study Lab Web page.